Are you wanting to swerve the sugar this Christmas but still indulge in your favourite desserts and treats? Check out these sugar free Christmas recipes
Raw Chocolate Cheesecake
Preparation: 8 hours 20 minutes (+ 2 hours for freezing)
For the base
- 110g walnuts
- 40g unsweetened cocoa power
- 200g pitted Medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
For the filling
- 360g raw cashews, soaked overnight in cold water, then drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 165g frozen ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch salt
- 40g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 75g pitted Medjool dates
- For the base: In a food processor, blitz the walnuts until you get coarse crumbs. Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until well incorporated. The mixture will be still quite crumbly; do not fear.
- Press about 200g of the base mix evenly into a cling film-lined 20cm round springform cake tin. Set aside.
- For the filling: Wipe out the food processor bowl, then blitz the filling ingredients until well incorporated and smooth. Taste the sweetness and add more dates as you wish. Pour into the tin and smooth out using a wet spatula or spoon. Cover with cling film and place into the freezer for 2 to 3 hours.
- Once set, slice, plate and enjoy! You can store the cheesecake in the freezer whole – slice the pieces as you need with a very sharp knife. The slices thaw in 1 hour.
Sugar free Christmas cake
Serves 12 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 120ml skimmed milk
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Combine sultanas, raisins, brandy and water; soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Lightly grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Mix pumpkin, eggs, orange juice and milk. Add soaked fruit, walnuts, cinnamon and mixed spice. Sift flours and bicarb into pumpkin mixture; mix well. Spoon into prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180 C / Gas mark 4 until cooked through and browned, about 65 minutes
Recipes provided by Anne Shirley from Sugarless Treats