Pancake day is literally around the corner so make yourself a stack of fluffy apple pancakes fit for a king!
This recipe, courtesy of Kitchen Stories, is perfect as a dessert or go wild and have them for breakfast! Whenever you choose to have them, these delicious, fluffy apple pancakes that combine the tanginess of apple, the sweetness of dried fruits and the crunch of caramelised walnuts are sure to get a thumbs up from the whole family!
These pancakes couldn’t be easier to make when using a blade from the Microplane® Master Series – a stylish collection of stainless steel graters featuring pioneering photo-etching technology and a beautiful walnut handle.
The ultra-sharp blades, or teeth – made in the USA – behave like sharp knives to grate ingredients with precision rather than tearing or shredding whilst, at the same time, releasing more natural aroma.
FLUFFY APPLE PANCAKES
- 170g all-purpose flour
- 90g sugar (divided)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lime (juice)
- 75g walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 180ml milk
- 1/2 apple
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Butter for frying
- Dried fruit for serving
- Maple syrup for serving
- Whisk together the flour, 40g of the sugar, a pinch of salt and baking powder
- Heat the lime juice and remaining sugar in a frying pan over a medium-low heat, stirring often. Once the sugar has melted, add the walnuts and continue to cook until the nuts are caramelised, approx. 3 – 4 min. Remove from heat
- Separate the eggs and add the egg whites to a grease-free standing mixer. Set the yolks aside. Beat the egg whites on high until soft peaks form
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks
- Sift in the flour mixture and mix well, making sure there are no lumps
- Fold the egg whites into the batter
- Grate the apple, using the Microplane Master Series Coarse Grater, into the batter and add vanilla extract. Stir to combine
- Heat some butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Spoon batter into frying pan and cook until golden brown (approx. 2 – 3 min. per side). Transfer to a plate to serve
- To serve, top with caramelized walnuts and dried fruit drizzled with maple syrup
In addition to the coarse blade option, the series includes a Zester and three handy paddle style blades including Fine, Ribbon and Extra Coarse. For grating the apples in this recipe, we recommend the Coarse Grater.
The Microplane Master Series is available from selected cookshops nationwide including Divertimenti and Steamer Trading.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up-to-date with all the latest news, reviews, events, competitions and more from Staffordshire Living. Or have your say on this article by commenting below.