Stuffed Peppers with Chickpeas & Bulgar Wheat
Continuing our ‘Eating Vegan’ series, this recipe for Stuffed Peppers is crammed with goodness. It’s meat free, but high in fibre.
- 3-5 large peppers – 1 for each serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Sprinkle of chopped chillis (to taste)
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Bulgar Wheat (or other grains if you prefer)
- Free-from cheese to top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Chop the lid off the peppers and scoop out the seeds from inside. Place in a oven-proof dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the peppers are in the oven, in a pan fry the onions and garlic in the olive oil. Once softened, add chillis, chopped mushrooms and chickpeas and fry for ~5mins.
- Cook grains as per pack instructions and set aside. Once the oniony chickpea mix is cooked, stir into grains with sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and spoon the grain mix into them. If making 5 peppers the mix should be about right; for 3 you may have some leftover grains to serve alongside.
- Place the stuffed peppers back in the oven for ~10 minutes. If adding cheese, add this for the last 5 to make a delicious melty mess.
Nutrition: 250kcal per serving (based on 3 servings). % energy split: 59%C/32%F/14%P. Source of protein. High in fibre
Read more from Ella: @lentilface on Instagram or visit her blog.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up-to-date with all the latest news, reviews, events, competitions and more from Staffordshire Living. Or have your say on this article by commenting below.