Find out why Kerri-Ann Hargreaves loves the year-round style of the trench coat
A trench coat is classic and so versatile. No matter what your personal style, you will find that it is a perfect addition to your outerwear collection.
It can be hard to know what to wear at the best of times, let alone when the weather is all over the place like it is at the moment – warm one minute and cold the next. But at this time of year a trench coat is ideal for transitional dressing.
As outerwear, I find it’s a really flattering style. And it’s not often you find a flattering ‘fits all’ coat. Honestly, a trench coat can do no wrong in my eyes!
It’s an absolute wardrobe staple – stylish, neutral, and great for wearing with layers.
My favourite style is belted, with a long-line fit and a storm flap panel – and it has to be in a classic tan shade.
It is perfect for slim frames and curvier women too. Most trench coats come with a belt to cinch in the waist. And as they are longer in length, I find they often elongate the body….
I’m all for looking taller.
How I love this coat, let me count the ways…
- It’s one of the most versatile items in your wardrobe as it’s easy to dress up or dress down.
- It’s light in the summer and easy to layer up in the winter – such a fantastic investment for year-round style.
- Whether you are super casual or prefer a more styled look – you can work with the trench coat. If you’re looking for a fail-safe colour, I would stick to a basic tan shade or even khaki.
- You can wear a trench coat as a casual outfit on regular occasions or in an evening with heels. The possibilities are truly endless.
Scroll below for 5 different ways to style your trench coat…
- Wear with joggers, a sweatshirt and trainers for an easy off duty look
- For a sophisticated French style, pair your trench coat with straight leg jeans, a tee and pumps
- Wear with summer dresses or skirts and winter knitwear – pair with trainers for a casual outfit or chunky boots for a more formal one
- Wear with leather trousers and loafers for a super on trend look
- Go all black underneath for a stylish and sleek look
I’ll be styling my tan trench with pastel pink and green, I particularly love this combination. I’m also really looking forward to wearing it with a brightly coloured beret as Winter draws in.
What is your favourite way to style a trench coat? Hop over to my Insta where I’ll be styling all these looks.
Kerri-Ann Hargreaves lives in Newcastle-under-lyme and is author of the The KA Edit a life and style blog. Find her on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook – @thekaedit.
Get the look