Our style columnist Kerri-Ann Hargreaves – @theKAedit – shows us how to wear transitional fashion
What’s a girl to wear in between seasons? Spring and Summer feels so far away yet my mind is racing towards bare ankles, painted toes and maxi dresses. What was I thinking? This is the UK, after all. The weather is somewhat unpredictable, but after temperatures rising recently I somehow thought Spring might just be here.
Dressing for the in-between can be challenging. One day we are teased with sunshine, then freezing temperatures and winds the next. So, I thought I’d share some inspiration on what to wear in between seasons. A few ideas to help you transition from your Winter wardrobe to Spring, without panic buying just in time for the warm-ish days ahead.
The start of a new year and decade is the perfect time to clear out your wardrobe and create space for some colour and sunshine in your wardrobe. And it’s ok to wear again and again. One of my favourite midi dresses will be on its 5th year this year, it’s flattering and I will wear and love it forever. Also, wear your wardrobe out. I love to wear my favourite pieces every which way, no matter the season. And, in recent years, I’ve fully embraced the 24/7, 365 days a year trend.
What to wear in between seasons
- Layers – My solution to the in between season is layers. But keep them lightweight. Fine knit jumpers and cardigans. Light jackets always bring interesting layers to an outfit. Military jackets, denim jackets and duster coats are just some of my favourites.
- Faded florals – I feel this year people are having fun with colour again. There really are no rules – pick the shades that catch your eye and embrace. Florals are immune to seasonality. In Spring and Summer you’ll find bigger prints which are pretty and flattering. Whether it’s a mini dress, skirt, midi dress or maxi dress.
- Trainers – Two seasons ago I fell in love with wearing trainers. They add something to every outfit. A style staple, one that is becoming more and more popular. They’re comfortable to wear and look super with dresses, skirts, jeans and leather trousers. An instant wardrobe refresh.
- Leopard print – for me leopard print is a brilliant neutral for your wardrobe. You can wear it all year long. From jumpers to polo necks, dresses and skirts. In winter I wear my dresses with jumpers and boots and in Spring with blazers and trainers.
- Jumpsuits – I’m a huge fan of jumpsuits. They’re great to throw on, dress up or down. Purchasing a jumpsuit that fits your body perfectly is key to looking and feeling good. I would recommend wear a solid colour, black is always flattering. You can then add colour with accessories and footwear.
I’m excited about the weeks and months ahead – of switching up my wardrobe. I can feel myself falling back in love with my Spring/Summer wardrobe. I don’t know about you, but all this talk of Spring/Summer fashion has gone to my head. I am ready to fast track to sandal weather, that’s for sure.
If in doubt. Life’s too short, wear the dress. That pretty much solves the problem.
Newcastle-under-Lyme based-Kerri-Ann Hargreaves is author of the The KA Edit a life and style blog. Find her on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook – @thekaedit.
Love reading our articles? Sign up to our monthly newsletter and receive all the latest straight to your inbox. Or have your say on this article by commenting below.