Our style columnist Kerri-Ann Hargreaves gives us her tips on how to style the midi dress for any season
Spring may be on the horizon but a midi dress style is for every season. It’s a fashion hybrid that’s just as perfect for spring as it is for layering up in winter. It’s my favourite transition piece. And if you follow me on Insta you’ll know that at this time of year I find myself drawn to the new maxi and midi styles hitting the shops, and inventing new ways to wear them throughout the year. They make me want to ditch my jeans and hoodie for good!
Why is the midi dress such a style staple? Because they’re practical and look so good. I wear my dresses oversized, so they are always comfortable – and depending on the colour they’re also super versatile. You can dress them down with trainers and a shacket by day; and go all out glam with a blazer and heels by night.
The good news is, if you are in need of a little wardrobe update there are so many good versions on the high street right now. And for the perfect midi dress style, you can accessorise with trainers, chunky boots, or even sandals for a dinner.
I mentioned in my last post that one of my favourite spring wears is a midi or maxi dress. Gone are the years when I would buy buy buy as each new season unfolds. I buy just one or two pieces now. And in recent years I have learnt the art of wearing my wardrobe out, adding staple pieces that can be worn every which way, time and time again.
Each time I talk about re-wearing a favourite dress I am always asked for ideas on freshening up the look. And so, I thought I would devote this month’s style feature to 5 ways to style a midi dress, not just for spring, but for all seasons!
- Combine your favourite midi dress with a blazer and chunky boots to take your look from day to night with ease.
- Add a cute shacket or cargo jacket and trainers for a casual look that’s right on trend.
- Layer up your look with a polo neck underneath your dress – think about wearing clashing prints to give your style an edge. This is a great way to warm up your outfit during cooler temps.
- Cinch in your dress at the waist with a belt and throw on a blazer and a pair of classic loafers – an ideal style for a casual lunch date.
- And finally, for unbeatable (and comfortable) summer style, wear your dress with your favourite sandals. See you at the beach!
A maxi or midi dress can be worn in so many ways. Over the years I have found there really is no limits. It’s purely down to your imagination. What I love about this style of dress is that they often go with so many items you already have in your wardrobe. Especially staple wardrobe items. I’m talking a black leather biker jacket, a khaki jacket, trainers, a jumper and a cardigan. You really can’t go wrong with midi dress style!
How will you be wearing yours this season?
Kerri-Ann Hargreaves lives in Newcastle-under-lyme and is author of the The KA Edit a life and style blog. Find her on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook – @thekaedit.